The basic principle of Skiving Roller Burnishing is where the skiving tool (a modified floating reamer) produces a geometrically true round bore, a prerequisite for successful roller burnishing. To date, this process has proven to be the fastest method of ID finishing of seamless or DOM tubing, with average rates of metal removal of 100 up to 150 inches per minute. Due to certain industry demand, the Skiving/Roller Burnishing tool assembly has become a combination Reaming/Skiving/Roller Burnishing tool assembly, capable of removing up to as much as .250” total stock removal in one operation.
BTA Heller Inc. offers a full range of individual or combined Skiving/Roller Burnishing tool assemblies starting at .500 up to 20.000” diameter and for cylinder lengths up to 33 feet long. Due to the productivity and accuracy demands, our Skiving Roller Burnishing tooling is mostly utilized on stand-alone deep hole drilling machines.
Consider these unique advantages BTA Heller Indexable Skiving/Roller Burnishing Tools:
- I.D. Burnishing Tools ranging from .187” – 20.000” diameters.
- One Direction Skiving / Roller Burnishing Tools ranging from 1.480” – 20.000” diameters.
- Improved surface finish – as fine as 4 to 6 micro inch (Ra) on average.
- Improved size control – tolerances within .005 inch on average and much finer for special applications.
- Increased surface hardness – up to 5 to 10% or more.
- Improved fatigue life – as much as 300% or better.
- Enhanced corrosion resistance.
- Elimination of tool marks and minor surface imperfections.
- Replaces expensive secondary operations, such as grinding, honing, or lapping.
- Cleaner than honing or other abrasive operations.
- Faster production, at a lower cost, as compared to other ID finishing processes.
- This process has recently been accepted as an alternate method of ID finishing by other than the hydraulic cylinder industry.